The Mission of Fashion Business, Inc.
Fashion Business, Inc. (FBI) is the fashion industry’s leading resource for turning concepts and businesses into a profitable reality. We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization dedicated to providing world-class industry education, technical training, sourcing, networking, operations, marketing, mentoring and consulting services. FBI’s global Resource Center along with our unique educational opportunities offers our members the tools and resources they need to build a successful fashion business.
Since its inception in 1999, FBI has worked with more than 5,500 existing and emerging fashion entrepreneurs and manufacturers. Ninety percent of FBI’s clients are women and minorities.
FBI’s entrepreneurial, displaced and incumbent worker training programs promote new business and job creation, and the profitable retention of workers, which in turn strengthen local economies and the overall health of the domestic apparel industry.
FBI is headquartered in the California Market Center in the heart of the Los Angeles fashion district.
- Professional development, mentoring, business and management training to owners of apparel businesses
- Job training and job retraining to assist manufacturers and their employees’ retain and retrain for future growth
- Opportunities for networking and introductions to industry services, resources, suppliers and products
- Marketing and promotion of members’ products
- A common ground for the diverse sectors of the Apparel Industry to join together for their mutual benefit
- A crossroads of manufacturers and contractors
- Support and reinforcement of the US apparel industry
- Employment and tax revenues through the growth of successful businesses
- Founded in 1999 by Frances Harder, FBI began offering a basic fashion business training course using leased office space in downtown Los Angeles.
- 2001 – FBI expanded and located into a 4,800 square foot facility in the New Mart Building in the heart of Los Angeles’ Garment District, and opened a computer lab and showroom space.
- 2003 – FBI becomes the first organization to provide job skills training to incumbent apparel industry workers.
- 2005 – FBI is the first organization to design and provide industry specific job skills training for displaced apparel industry workers.
- 2007 – FBI introduced online training programs.
- 2009 – FBI expanded into its current state-of-the-art 7,000 square foot facility in the California Market Center, featuring an expanded computer lab, a seminar classroom that can accommodate 50 students, conference rooms, office rental space for incubating fashion businesses, and a showroom for producing fashion shows and other networking events.
- 2009 – FBI expanded its geographic reach by launching a San Francisco chapter to meet the needs of Bay Area fashion entrepreneurs.